Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Kale and Pickled Mustard Cabbage
Can mushrooms burst with flavor and nutrients without much loved bacon or cheese? The answer is yes! I’m on a personal challenge to ensure that vegetables really stand out at the dinner table without basting the vegetables in high amounts of fat. So, how can I convince myself to inhale vegetables then same way I would….bacon? <yes, sacrilege>
Asian pickled mustard cabbage is a favorite of mine. Prepping dinner one day, I had a moment. Asian pickling is not as sour as other pickled vegetables, but is a nice contrast to the meatiness of mushrooms and slightly bitter kale base. And thus, the Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Kale and Pickled Mustard Cabbage is born.
Did you know “portobello” and “portobellas” are both acceptable and interchangeable names for the Agaricus bisporus since the 1980s marketing makeover? With a decline in consumption, portobellos were re-marketed as a meat alternative. Good choice, I say! Mushrooms are so adaptable, it will accentuate the flavor of anything it pairs with!
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms – Kale and Pickled Mustard Cabbage
- 4 Portobello mushrooms trim stems off and chop stems fine
- ½ onion chopped fine
- 6 roasted garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1 bunch curly kale ribbed and leaves chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise vegetarian or vegan friendly mayonnaise will work or omit – filling will be more crumbly, but flavour will be there
- 3 tablespoons Asian Pickled Mustard Cabbage tangy sweet flavour (substitute with pickled cabbage, diced pickled beets, sauerkraut)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt or more to taste
- In medium frying pan, cook onion until softened.
- On medium heat, add roasted garlic cloves, portobello stems and kale. Once kale turns vibrant green and it is softened. Turn off heat.
- In,the frying pan, to the onion-kale mixture, add mayonnaise, onion salt, Asian Pickled Mustard Cabbage (or substitute) and gently combine.
- Smoke 4 portobello mushrooms 10 minutes at 300F on Gateway Drum Smokers or 350F on other type of smoker or 375F in oven, top side down.
- Flip mushrooms and smoke or bake for additional 10 minutes. Portobellos should start to soften.
- In the mushroom well, spoon onion-kale mixture into portobello.
- Smoke or bake for additional 5 minutes until mushroom is softened.