Grilled Watermelon Salad
Its hot, its cool, its grilled, its watermelon salad! Will watermelon grill if its 80% water? Yes! By keeping the rind on when grilling and using high temperatures, this summer treat can indeed be grilled. The most noticeable difference after grilling the watermelon, is the texture. Instead of the sandy, crisp texture you get from a cold watermelon out of the fridge, you will have a softer, spongy texture. I like the surprise of combining the grilled and fresh fruit. Lastly, the mint and goats cheese adds a fresh component to brighten the flavor of the grilled watermelon salad. Don’t ponder what this refreshing snack will taste like – just grill it and find out!
Did you know that watermelons have been marketed for >5000 years? Hieroglyphics on ancient Egyptian walls document watermelon as a hydrating treat – so much that watermelon seeds were also encased in Pharaoh’s tombs! I’m not waiting around 5000 years to enjoy this new take, on an old delight.
Grilled Watermelon Salad with Mint and Goat’s Cheese
- 2 1” watermelon cross cuts diameter, then cut crosscut in half with the rind (this keeps the watermelon together on the grill)
- 2 1” watermelon cross cuts diameter, and further cut into cubes
- Sweet spice rub I recommend chicken rub
- 2 tablespoons cup of mojito mint sliced into fine slices (julienned)
- 2 tablespoons cup of goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat the Gateway Drum Smoker to 300F.
- Meanwhile, lightly season one side with a sweet spice rub like one (I used my own Chicken spice rub that is more sweet than salty)
- Place grill rack on the middle prongs (middle level)
- Place watermelon on the grill rack with spice rub facing upwards.
- Place lid on Gateway Drum Smoker and allow to cook for 5 minutes. The spice rub on the watermelon will sweat.
- Flip the watermelon and lightly rub the “cooked side.” Leave the watermelon to cook for an additional 5 minutes with lid on.
- Flip watermelon slices and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove watermelon from smoker and remove rind and slice watermelon into cubes. Allow to cool.
- Place the cubed (uncooked) watermelon into a large bowl
- Add the grilled watermelon to the large bowl
- Add mojito mint and gently toss watermelon to mix
- Sprinkle goat cheese crumbles on top. Serve or place into fridge until it is ready to be served.