Vegetarian Spiced Lentil (Dal) Soup with Apples, Ginger and Tumeric
I dub thee, yummy Superfood Soup. Yes, a flavorful soup with lentils, apples, ginger and tumeric??!! High protein and fiber and low in fat! And its yummy! It doesn't get better than this!
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 3" or 2 tablespoons piece ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 large ~2 cups apple unpeeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 ½ cups red lentils needs to be red lentils, as these disintegrate
- 1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons table salt + more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Plain yogurt to garnish
- Cilantro leaves to garnish
In a large pot on medium, cook cayenne pepper, ginger, cumin and turmeric until fragrant. This toasts the spices to draw out the flavors.
Add coconut oil, onion and garlic and stir to mix with spices and cook until softened.
Stir in grated apple and red lentils.
Stir in coconut milk and water.
Bring spicy coconut milk mixture to a boil.
Reduce temperature to simmer and cook until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
Add lime juice, salt and pepper. Season additionally with salt to taste.
Serve with a generous spoonful of plain yogurt and cilantro leaves for a nice tang.