Taco de Lengua
As this week’s supper challenge theme of “Halloween,” this is both a trick and a treat. Taco de Lengua is a beef tongue taco and smoking the beef tongue for extra flavor is worth it. Don’t worry, these tacos are not as scary as you think, it’s vealy tender and vealy delicious! Haha! Yes, I enjoy my own jokes!
It’s fascinating that cows don’t have top teeth. They have a tough surface on the top of their gums, so they use their tongues to rip apart tall grass. This muscle is much more hard working than people realize!
Taco de Lengua (Beef Tongue Taco)
- 20 6 ” corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked or smoked beef tongue/ lengua cut into ¼” cubes
- ½ onion minced fine
- ¼ cup cilantro minced fine
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 limes sliced into wedges
- Warm corn tortillas (I wrap 5 tortillas loosely in aluminum foil in a warm 350F oven for 10 minutes, so 4 foil packets).
- Assemble each tortilla with beef tongue/ lengua, onion, cilantro, salsa verde and a squeeze of fresh lime.