Korean Grilled Squid Rings
Squid is deceivingly easy to grill and for a simple flavor twist, Korean Grilled Squid Rings hit the spot. Starting the grill with aromatics – onion and scallions will perfume the air to get your mouth watering. The sweet caramelization of the onions balances the bitterness of charred Shanghai Bok Choy and the tangy acidic kimchi. A few minutes on each side of the squid ring on high heat and encased is a tender bite. The trick is not to overcook the squid rings into a chewy block.
As prime athletic performances are showcased this week at the Tokyo Olympics, I want to spend more time watching elite human efforts (and less time cooking). For Supper Challenge this week with a theme of “rings;” squid rings is the simple, delicious and fast.
Taste: So flavorful with sweet, spicy, sour and bitter. The squid rings has its own sweetness with a touch of smoke from a charcoal grill that is delicious enjoyable.
Tenderness: Crunchiness of kimchi competes with the soft grilled aromatics and very tender squid rings. Remember, the goal is to fight chewy overcooked squid rings!!
Korean Grilled Squid Rings
- 2 +1+1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium size onion sliced in half
- 3-4 Shanghai bok choy sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 scallion sprigs
- ½ lb squid rings fresh or thawed from frozen
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ to 1 cup kimchi to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat grill (charcoal or gas) to medium-high.
- In the meantime, cut onion and Shanghai bok choy in half lengthwise.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil onto onion, Shanghai bok choy and scallions.
- Place onion and Shanghai bok choy onto hot grill with lid closed and cook until slightly charred and softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Flip and cook other side to charred and softened with lid closed and also add scallions to grill, about 5-8 minutes as well.
- Meanwhile, drizzle squid rings with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Move onion, scallions and Shanghai bok choy to cooler place on grill. Over the high heat, grill squid rings. Cook 1-2 minutes until squid rings is a brighter white (from opaque white).
- Flip squid rings until squid rings are a bright white, about 1-2 minutes.
- Take all items off the grill.
- Preheat frying pan with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions, scallions and Shanghai bok choy lengthwise. Slice the kimchi into thin lengths as well. Add all vegetables to the hot frying pan.
- Toss the vegetables in the frying pan after 1 minute. Add grilled squid rings to the frying pan.
- Add soy sauce and kosher salt to taste. Quickly toss all items in frying pan once, remove from frying pan (so not to further cook squid rings) and serve immediately.